Friday, July 4, 2008

Brevity is the soul of lingerie

So says Dorothy Parker, my favourite writer, poet, and all round cynic.

I often like to end the week reading one of her short stories and marvel in the way that her works are just as relevant today as they were when they were written in the 20's and 30's. Most of her work deals with her disappointments (with men, her work, and life in general) but I really wish she'd had children...I think mine will need therapy one day. Just imagine.

I generally don't like the word "feminist" (mostly because there is no male equivalent so we're really not that much further ahead if we have to use it), but if ever there were one, she's it baby.

One of the coolest things I've ever done is hang out in the Algonquin Hotel, where she and her Vanity Fair contemporaries made up the now infamous "Vicious Circle". If you get to NYC stop in for at least one cocktail. If you haven't seen the movie of this part of her life, starring Jennifer Jason Leigh, I suggest you do.

This basically sums it up for Dorothy:

"Ducking for apples. Change one word and it's the story of my life."

Right on sister.

No comments: